Deposing the Last Monarch of Tunisia | Al Jazeera World Documentary
At the dawn of Tunisian independence in 1957, there was a bitter power struggle between the country’s monarch and its first president.
It was a “winner takes all” battle between Habib Bourguiba, leader of the Tunisian independence movement, and Lamine Bey, whose family had ruled the country for more than 250 years.
Through witness accounts – including frank testimony from 99-year-old Driss Guiga, the former national security director and a Bourguiba loyalist, and contributions from a direct descendent of the royal family – this film reveals how the monarch was deposed.
Connect with Al Jazeera World:
‣ YouTube: https://aje.me/AJWplaylist
‣ Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlJazeeraWorld
‣ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlJazeeraWorld
‣ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_aljazeeraworld/
‣ Website: https://www.aljazeera.com/program/al-jazeera-world/
#AlJazeeraWorld #documentary #Tunisia