Join Teaching Artist Katy Unger for a close look at Bisa Butler’s quilted portrait of Chadwick Boseman, entitled Forever, then create a colorful portrait of a historical figure whose story inspires you using a photograph as well as drawing and collage materials. For grades 6–12.
– Printed photograph (approx 8.5 x 11) from a magazine page or online image that depicts a close-up of the individual’s face. Make sure their face is large and clearly defined on the printed page. The photograph can be black and white or in color.
– Pencil or pen
– Sheet of paper (lined or blank)
– Markers, oil pastels, or crayons
– Collage materials (patterned paper scraps, magazine scraps, fabric scraps, etc.)
– Glue stick or any craft glue
Evenings for Educators is a professional development program for K–12 teachers focusing on LACMA’s permanent collection and special exhibitions. Each session presents strategies for incorporating the visual arts into the classroom with activities that explore the artistic process, approach works of art as primary sources, and emphasize parallels between the visual arts and core content areas.
Learn more at https://www.lacma.org/education/teachers.
Located on the Pacific Rim, LACMA is the largest art museum in the western United States, with a collection of nearly 140,000 objects that illuminate 6,000 years of artistic expression across the globe. Committed to showcasing a multitude of art histories, LACMA exhibits and interprets works of art from new and unexpected points of view that are informed by the region’s rich cultural heritage and diverse population. LACMA’s spirit of experimentation is reflected in its work with artists, technologists, and thought leaders as well as in its regional, national, and global partnerships to share collections and programs, create pioneering initiatives, and engage new audiences.
Connect with LACMA
Subscribe for our latest videos: lacma.org/videos
Explore our collection online: collections.lacma.org
Plan your visit to LACMA: lacma.org/visit
Support the museum and become a member: lacma.org/support
Follow us on social